Monday, January 14, 2013

El Parque de Retiro

On Saturday (January 12th), I decided to walk around the Retiro Park by myself while the other students went back to take naps. The day was just too beautiful to not further explore this wonderful city, so I decided to head out without a plan and it turned out that the park was an excellent idea for such a clear and sunny day.


What was the most amazing was looking out over the lake and seeing the giant monument. Literally everywhere I turned I saw new extraordinary things that I did not expect to find. People were in row boats romantically enjoying the day on the water under the blue sky, children were playing all around, and beautiful fountains and monuments surrounded me everywhere that I went.

The lake in Retiro Park

At one point in the trees I stumbled upon a magnificent building that turned out to be some sort of palace that was currently being used as a modern art gallery. Unlike the Prado Museum of Art, I was not as impressed with these exhibits, but it was free so I decided to look around a little bit.






Later, while enjoying the sun and the gardens, I came upon a beautiful greenhouse that didn't actually appear to currently have plants inside but was merely a glass building for people to walk around inside.



And in closing of my boring secluded day of blogging [I have been home sick] below is a picture of the sunrise I just witnessed outside my window.

No comments:

Post a Comment